Monday, May 9, 2011

It Starts With Love

Ouch. Hill's team lost 7-0? That couldn't have felt too good afterward. It reminds me of the old days when we lost to Cottonwood 23-3. No, I'm not talking about the score to a football game, it was baseball. With football the score was a little more respectable 50-10 but even that might be a little generous. Anyway, sorry about the loss. My attempt at a joke probably only got a laugh out of Dad.

It is good to hear you're all working hard in the yard and that the weather should be getting better. Cross your fingers that you have sunny days during the wedding. Italy has been a little cool the last couple days. I'm sure it would feel like heaven for you guys though. My companion feels it necessary to wear long sleeves anytime there is a slight breeze or a cloud in the sky haha. Every time I'm like "haha Dude...gimme a break".

We had an interesting experience this week with a baptismal interview. On Sunday we went to Milano so my companion could do a baptismal interview for this investigator of the sister missionaries in our district. So I'm sitting outside the room with the sister missionaries, Sorella Burgoyne and Sorella Baranova. After about 45 minutes and constant mumbling from the sisters because the interview is taking forever, my companion comes out and says they have to move the baptismal date. He goes onto explain to us that Elizabeth, the investigator, doesn't fully understand the Restoration and that Peter, James and John appeared to Joseph to give him the priesthood. I hear this from my companion and I'm like "dude, that's ok, it doesn't say anywhere that they have to have a perfect knowledge of things". Meanwhile the sister missionaries are super mad at my companion and my companion is stressing out because he doesn't know what to do. I already knew what i would do, go on with the baptism because if she is ready, she is ready You don't have to understand everything completely. There are many many members who don't completely understand everything about the gospel. So I'm thinking and I remember that President Wolfgramme is in the building because it is the same ward that he goes to on Sundays for church. We go get President and he is able to explain my same thoughts to my companion.

My comp tends to have moments where he just stressed out way too much but we are working on it. After he went back into the room to explain to Elizabeth everything was ok for the baptism, the president and I were kinda just laughing a bit. In a good way, my companion is awesome he just over thinks everything and lets it confuse him.

Friday I was doing a scambio (exchange) with one of my zone leaders, Anziano Newton here in Pavia. He is 6'8....yeah imagine us walking around all day haha. It was super cool though. We had an awesome lesson with this guy, Giuseppe, that we found last week. He is super busy because he is preparing to marry in the Catholic church, but its basically just for tradition. He told us during the lesson that he knows that church is wrong. He had some super sweet questions though that were all centered around the Plan of Salvation. So we will see how it goes with him.

The bad news is that after the lesson with Giuseppe we got a call from Gerard saying he doesn't want to meet with us anymore. We were pretty bummed but we gotta move on. We were almost immediately blessed too. We got in three times later that night and found like 4 new investigators. The next morning before we rescambiod we got inside with a really really Catholic couple. We talked about how the family can live together for eternity thanks to the restoration. At first they were totally against the message of the Restoration and were saying it doesn't make sense...etc...But once we whipped out the Book of Mormon and explained how if this book is true then everything else we have said is true. They were so stunned and I think touched by the spirit. They kinda raised some other concerns and argumentative question but their whole tone of voice and understanding was completely different. They fully understood the significance of the Book of Mormon. We got a return appointment for the following week. I really have some high hopes for them. I just hope they can actually read and pray about the Book of Mormon.

Our whole teaching pool of investigators has just been filled to the brim this past week. We only have one investigator Daniel with a date and who is really making progress but there are tons of people with lots of potential right now. We taught Daniel the Law of Tithing last night and it went awesome. We invited him to live it and he basically said in return, "Perche No?, Dio mi ha dato tutto"..."yeah sure, why not, God has given me everything"...He then said, I might as well give him 20%. It was pretty sweet. We also taught him the Word of Wisdom last week and he has stopped smoking. He is a stud and we are excited for him; he just needs to come to church! He was sick last week so he wasn't able to come and then this Sunday his wife will have had her baby. They have to have surgery or something because the baby hasn't turned? Something like that. But he will be super busy with her for the next week or so.

I really learned a lot this week about having love for our investigators. It is a good desire to want people to be baptized and receive the blessing of the gospel but that all starts with love. If we don't have love for them and everyone else we teach or haven't even met, then we are not going to receive all the blessings our Father in heaven has for us. Our Heavenly Father will be more willing to bless us as we are able to love everyone, no matter what. Charity is awesome and I hope I can continue growing my love for the people here in Italy.

I look forward to talking with you all on Sunday. The only bad thing is that the the member whose house we are doing it at, said that the internet cuts out every ten minutes or so...ah...I know. So we might just have to deal with it...sorry.

Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment