Monday, June 6, 2011

Am I Changing? I Sure Hope So!

Well, it sounds like you all are doing great and very excited that the wedding is almost done with. I can imagine how much effort and time has been put into it, trying to make it perfect. Hard work though is tough but you always get the sense of relief soon after. I think sometimes the hard part is trying to have the sense of relief or joy from the work while you are actually working. It is both the same in real life and missionary work. I'm always up to work hard, but it difficult at times to have that joy from doing it every minute of everyday. Mom, you asked the question, Am I changing? I sure hope so! We just had Leadership Training yesterday(for all missionaries, not just leaders). One of the main things that they focused on throughout the training is how we as missionaries need to change. It was something that really hit home for me because I had been thinking lately about how I can have more fun or joy in doing missionary work. Obviously I do get joy from doing missionary work but it is something I feel I need to improve dramatically. I was reading in Preach My Gospel this morning and I came across a sweet quote by President Boyd. K Packer, something like this...."True understanding of gospel doctrine helps change behavior. The study of doctrine will do more to improve or change behavior than a study of behavior will change behavior.". This is not the exact quote but it goes something like that. I found that to be really cool because I have definitely strived in the last couple transfers to build my Christlike attributes. I realized when I read that quote that I've been doing exactly what I shouldn't do. I think throughout the day..."how can I have more patience or what can I do to not become frustrated with certain things". The answer is as simple that we must read the scriptures. Reading about Christ and what he did for others or anything. It was pretty cool.

Well this week we have been kept super busy, unfortunately not with missionary work. We have been packing and getting stuff arranged for our move on Saturday. By Saturday we must be out of our apartment. As of now we have a long way to go until we are anywhere near being packed up. We have mostly arranged our own stuff and cleaned stuff up so it will be easier when we actually start packing. Yesterday we were basically in Milano all day for our Training, today is P-day and wow we have lots to do. Tomorrow we have district meeting and after that we are going to basically pack all day. Saturday we have to move all the furniture to the other apartment which will be fun. Luckily we have members coming to help us.

Anziano Barnes is a super cool kid. He speaks really well and is helping me a lot to keep speaking Italian as much as possible. He also came with just a brilliant idea that he started last transfer in Milano. It isn't like a brand new idea or anything but the emphasis of doing it and how we actually do it is what is awesome. Basically we are just teaching the members as much as possible about the Restoration and then after explaining how we want to start helping them to find others. We have always used members and asked for referrals but this is really to help members find people they know, talk with them about the gospel. It is less them just giving us referrals, but them doing more of the work until they are ready to hear the lessons from us. We are starting now to just go through the entire ward teaching them all the restoration and make it just a super, super powerful lesson. It was funny because he explained how he learned about this from Preach My Gospel and then yesterday in training we had a huge lesson about it.

It will be a fun transfer and like dad said I too feel that we are going to catch fire and go crazy. We are learning how we can better work with each other to help others. I think it is something I have lacked in the last couple transfers. Now that I can speak better and understand better it will be easier to work in unison with my companion.

I'm super excited for the wedding! Bummer I will miss it but oh well....I will pray for sun for you all. Right now Italy is just baking. It has been super, super hot the last week.

Love you all

Ciao Ciao

Tucker

No comments:

Post a Comment