Friday, October 28, 2011

"What Baptism? ... My Baptism"

E-mail from October 13, 2011 Hey everyone! what's cooking?

We we have had a really inspiring, fun, kick butt week. It included companions getting sick, setting more baptismal dates, having a baptism etc....We did have a baptism this week though it was very hectic, very stressful in a way, but overall a great spiritual experience.

So the baptism was set to be around 7 pm. We got a call from Edmond early in the morning saying "Why did you choose Felix to baptism me?". Earlier in the week he had asked us if Felix could baptize him. Anyway, we were like "uh....because you wanted him to do it." He went on to tell us how he would prefer someone else to do it, preferably me or my companion. We were a little shocked and confused with this but finally after talking with him we decided to have my companion baptize him. Apparently he didn't want a Nigerian baptizing him. We had to make an awkward call to Felix saying that Edmond didn't want him to do it. I felt so bad too because Felix was super super excited to do it. Anyway, 5 PM rolls around and we get a call from Edmond saying "I'm locked out of my house and my roommates aren't answering their phones". haha He went on to tell us that if they didn't come back before the baptism that we should just move the baptism to next week. haha We were like "NOOO....Edmond if they do not come back by 6:30 just come straight to the church. He told us OK and that he would.

Finally it got to be around 6:30 so we called him and asked if he had gotten inside yet and he told us no. We told him to come to the church, but he told us that his friend had taken his bike and he didn't have a way to get to the church. haha By now I was just like aghhhhhh. haha Of course all this would happen. Luckily we had a brava member there who said we could go in her car and pick him up. So we dashed over there and he was there waiting in his church clothes. Apparently his friends had just gotten home and he had just enough time to change. He even brought along his older brother who is not a member. haha The dude had the coolest "African" suit ever. The baptism went really well and Edmond just kept saying how happy he was.

I was able to do my first confirmation the following day as I conferred upon him the gift of the Holy Ghost. haha Man I was soooo nervous but it went pretty well. He has already started his role as a member in helping others come unto Christ. We had a lesson set up with him the other day and right before the lesson he gave us a call asking if we could come early. He went on to say that he had brought friends to his house to listen to us, but they had to leave soon. He wanted us to hurry so we could teach them.

One of the other cool fruits from Edmond's baptism is based around Andy. Andy has been coming to church for about 2 months. He really likes church but every time we try to set somethings up he doesn't have time. This last Sunday after the confirmation of Edmond, he came up to me and started saying..."sooo...the baptism". Remembering that I'd forgotten to invite him to Edmond's baptism I said "Oh I'm so sorry, this week has been really busy and I spaced it, man, I'm so sorry". He said it was OK then again he said "soo..the baptism". This time I was kinda confused so I asked him "Andy, what baptism?". He then responded, "my baptism!". I laughed and said Andy that is great but dude, we have to teach you first. I pulled out my planner and showed him all the lessons we would have to teach him. We then fixed a day to see each other that week and we set a baptismal date. haha The guy is super, super cool and we are excited for him.

We also had success in setting a date with this older man, Moreno for the 5 November(can you believe it's already November?). He is very quiet and I think he might have a speech problem. Antonio is making lots of progress as well and we've been able to teach him quiet a lot. We are thinking he will be ready to be baptized by the 5th of November as well. He is probably more ready than anyone else at this point. His desire to be baptized is really strong as well. We are really trying to help him with forgiveness though because of some family issues. He is making lots of changes in his life and is seeing many of the blessings from it already!

Well lately we've really been focusing a lot on the Book of Mormon. We have been taking seriously the talks of the Apostles and of our leaders. I've spent a lot of time the last few weeks in district meetings to discuss the importance of the Book of Mormon and the way we can use it in our missionary work. It is great to hear you are all striving to be better at reading and finishing the Book of Mormon. I know I've been trying to kick my butt into gear and reading it a lot more. With all we do and with how crazy missionary life can be I sometimes find it hard to find good quality Book of Mormon reading time. It is one of my biggest goals right now. Of course, I read when studying for lessons but it's a little different. I'm looking forward to really dedicating myself to reading intently daily.

Unfortunately, I haven't really been able to remain in great contact with any of the people I have baptized. I kinda just spaced all of that when I would leave a city. I never remembered to get their addresses and what not. I will have to get my butt into gear and get them from other missionaries. I do keep hearing though that Biyao is doing great and is just awesome. I heard Domingo is doing awesome but from the other I haven't heard any news. The 8 africans are gonna be tough because they all live in a hotel. I will probably just send letter through other missionaries to them or something.

It sounds like you all doing great. That is too bad that Oly lost. I bet Lisa was very, very sad seeing as she couldn't even play. Hopefully she doesn't blame herself for the loss. I did get a pretty good laugh about the story with Mark and the pistol (elk hunting). haha. I can just see that happening.

Well, that is super cool the Cards made it past the Phillies; man I hate the Phillies ... and Yankees and Red Sox. Hopefully they can go all the way! I kinda guessed the Utes would get torched this week. Does the new quarterback show any promise?

Well, I love you all and will talk to ya next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment