Thursday, January 13, 2011

My Companion Is Sick, and It Sucks to Not Do Missionary Work

December 22, 2010 Email

Alrighty... well thanks for the emails and sports articles. This week has gone by super super fast but hasn't been all that exciting. Last Friday was pretty fun. We met this guy on the street a couple of weeks ago who taught at a high school. He asked us to come and teach his class about our church. So we went and taught this class, but there were only like seven girls in the class. I guess all the boys are on strike, literally. The other companionship came as well. I kinda stayed out of the discussion, partially because they wouldn't understand anything I say and also when they had questions I couldn't understand what the question was. I did get to introduce myself and talk for a bit, but for the most part I let the others take the lead. That night there was a young single adult party so we called some of the younger investigators to come. My companion thought to call Eduardo, the Chinese guy who was taking a break from lessons, and he said he would come. He brought one of his roommates, Simone, who also came to church the other week with him. I talked with them for a while and it was a sweet party. We will probably teach them again once they get back from their vacation.

Saturday we did a little bit of giro (street contacting) and casa (tracting), but couldn't really find anybody. We also had the ward Christmas party later that night which was way fun. They gave us a box of treats, some socks, and other stuff. They also made us take home all the left over food which was sweet.

Church was awesome this week. We had three investigators show up: Obeng, an African we met the night before; Oli, a Romanian guy that we can't understand; and, Cosimo. We were able to teach Obeng during church and committed him to baptism for January 15th. He had a very strong desire to follow Christ, and do whatever is necessary to be baptized. He also asked us for money so he could teach his other African friends. Of course, we couldn't give him any money.

The last two days I've pretty much just chilled int he apartment. My companion has been pretty sick. I've gotten to read a lot from the BOM, PMG, and Jesus the Christ. I'm in the Isaiah chapters of the scriptures so its been a little slow, but I actually understand it reasonably well. That's what I think any way, I probably know nothing. I have actually really enjoyed all the study time and because we don't get a whole lot of time with always doing casa and teaching invesigators. With that being said, it also sucks not being able to go around looking for people to teach and doing actual missionary work.

I was able to leave for a bit with one of the other missionaries in our apartment to teach Obeng yesterday. I'm pretty sure he understands a lot of what we are teaching and is learning a lot. It was an awesome lesson and we were able to bear testimony through the whole thing. From reading Jesus the Christ yesterday, I've already learned so much and given me a great love of Christ. None of us can truly comprehend what He did for us. It's pretty sweet, huh?

Luckily, Anziano Poulson felt good enough to get out of the apartment to come do email, shopping, and what not. Sounds a little fishy. That's sweet that Ash has finished up the Nutcracker. I bet it's a relief to have it over.

Well, thanks for the emails. Talk to you on Sunday! I hope you're excited.. probably more than me because it doesn't seem like I've been gone that long. I'm coming up on three months though... crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment